Sunday, October 15, 2006

Sunday Rips, Part 1

McCartney spreading the story of Hawkins

Try as the media might to get Colorado coach Dan Hawkins to admit to frustration or being overwhelmed, the man simply won't give in to what he considers foolishness.

The latest was Cnnsi.com's Cory McCartney.

"The crime in that, is that a lot of people go, 'You're close. You're close.' It's not about being close. It's about sealing the deal," Hawkins said. "We've just got to make one or two or three, four plays a game and that's it. To some degree, those are not earth shattering, Superman 'jump into a phone booth, 'leap over a tall building in a single bound' kind of things. They're not. We're learning the lessons of excellence every week and taking stock of being in the fire.

"I came here for all the right reasons," Hawkins said. "I guess I'm a different cat. I look at life bit differently. I knew this was a great challenge and I knew it was a great opportunity and I knew it was gonna be a chance to jump into the fire and figure it all out. That was a very appealing thing to me. Then again, life is not about riding a wave, at least it isn't for me. It never has been.

Black & Gold Breakdown: How 'bout that? Hawkins isn't wavering on the reasons. He says it isn't the big, flashy thing that needs to be done, it is linking all the pieces together. Lessons of excellence? Like it. A lot.

The man isn't afraid of a challenge. Something tells me the coach didn't think it was going to quite be like this, but then again, he knew he wasn't walking into a ready-made situation. If it was all set up for success, face it, Gary Barnett would still be the top dog in Boulder.

If Hawkins gets this boat turned around and steaming the other direction, he will be a legend here and likely to be lusted after by other programs and the boys in the League.

It says here, and hey, not saying I've never been wrong before, but says here, Hawkins is going to prove an outstanding hire. Will he win a national championship? A handful of Big 12 titles? How could I really know that? A lot has to fall into place for that to happen. That said, I do think the intangible signs for success are there. I strongly believe Hawkins is going to win, on and off the field. Will he be perfect? Will the program be perfect? Will he be questioned?

Hey, even title coaches and their programs catch heat and Hawkins will too, for his decisions, his results and off-the-field troubles, but it's the overall body of work that most matters.

In that area, I, as one man, well, puttin' the money down on Dan Hawkins, the man and then Hawkins, the coach.


No comments: