Monday, November 27, 2006

Turgeon hunting, skiing naked with Doyel

If you read a Sunday post below, you'll see that this space is intrigued by Mark Turgeon as a possible candidate to replace Dead Man Walking (pictured to the right) on the CU bench as head basketball coach.

Turgeon has done an amazing job at Wichita State without the benefit of all-world talent. He is bright, driven, experienced at both the college and professional levels and has been around two accomplished basketball minds and teachers in the vagabond but big winner Larry Brown and another man with a ring, Roy Williams.

Had to get an opinion on my lust for Turgeon from someone I trust not to get up on stage and song and dance me, you know? Wanted someone direct, honest and can at least make me laugh as he punches me in the nose if he can't agree with me.

So knocked on the door of Gregg Doyel of cbssportsline.com, hoping he would answer. He and I had discussed Ricardo Patton's resignation and run at CU before so I thought, hey, why not keep that fire burning.

He answered the door, squinted out at me and mumbled something, not sure of it's content or intent, but ever the gracious guy he's been to me, he invited me in for a moment.

I asked Doyel what he thought of Turgeon as my generous gift idea to Buff hoops.

Now I know I can make girls laugh but grown men, another story. Guess I am funnier than I thought.

Doyel: I hate to be the bearer of such bad news, and this really does seem rude of me, but...hahahahahaha. If Mark Turgeon leaves Wichita State for Colorado, (A) he's not half as smart as I bet he is and (B) I'll ski naked down whatever the main street is in Boulder.

None!

Is that clear?

If Turgeon wasn't going to leave WSU for Arizona State (last spring), no way does he leave for Colorado. I think he's hoping for, and even planning on, winning another 25 games this season and then having his pick of jobs after the season. And believe me when I say Colorado won't be on his radar.

I know this is rude, but this is not my fault. Blame Patton, (Gary) Barnett and the ADs and presidents there who have conspired to turn the Colorado sports program into an absolute quagmire. And basketball was in bad shape even in the best of times.

Black & Gold Breakdown: Damn, Gregg broke my heart. The object of my desire is going to reject CU? A chance to return to the Big 12? To play his alma mater, KU and teams he grew up disliking like Missouri, Kansas State, Oklahoma and Iowa State? A chance to whip Texas?

At some point in life one has to remember that very old Clint Eastwood line in a Dirty Harry movie.

"A man's got to know his limitations."

And when it comes to women or basketball coaches at a certain Missouri Valley Conference school, I guess certain people are just out of my league.

So, after that cold shower, courtesy of Doyel, I'm off looking for new names to usher in some success here, do what John Thompson did at Georgetown or Bobby Cremins at Georgia Tech, or even what Billy Gillespie is creating now at Texas A& M, which is making something out of nothing.

Thompson won big with the Hoyas. Very big, as in a national championship at a top-level academic institution.

Cremins took an engineer school to greater heights than it had ever seen by harvesting top recruits annually.

Gillespie is coaching at a place where basketball is only on the menu to fill out the athletic program.

If those guys can create basketball powers out of molehills then there has to be someone who can do the same at Colorado.

No comments: