Friday, November 24, 2006

Moschetti breaks down Huskers, Part 1

In the first of a two-part interview with former CU quarterback Mike Moschetti, the Black and Gold Breakdown talks Buffs and Huskers for today's tilt in Lincoln.

The fourth-leading passer in school history, throwing for 4,797 yards and 33 touchdowns after transferring to Boulder after two years in the junior college ranks. His accomplishments also include a school record 465 yards passing against San Jose State in 1999 and 382 and four scores against the Oklahoma Sooners.

BGB: The first thing that comes to mind when someone says Nebraska?

Moschetti: It makes me sick to my stomach thinking about Nebraska. So close. Such an exciting time, even now, me being out for so long. I just have this nervous feeling in my stomach. Colorado, for so many years couldn't get breaks and that's what good teams do. Nebraska has been a big-time program over the years. When I was playing, they were a thorn in my side.

Going into Lincoln is going to be tough on these kids. It's probably the toughest place to play in the Big 12. They're very beatable. This is a game you come to Colorado to play in.

BGB: Such a small difference between the two programs when you took the field. What was that difference?

Moschetti: I watched a lot of Notre Dame - USC football and Notre Dame went 14 years without losing to USC. If you think about that right now, you'd say, that has to be impossible.

Same way, in the '90s, Nebraska won 3 national championships and we battled them until the last play and we just seemed not to be able to get over the hump. They're a great football team and they always found a way to win.

BGB: What does a win over Nebraska win mean to the program and the school?

Moschetti: When you're 2-9, this is Colorado's national championship game. The players understand the rivalry, they know how much it means to the everyday fan, guys on Netbuffs, to the guy who works in a coffee shop in Boulder. They hate Nebraska.

BGB: You've coaching the Buffs this week, what's your approach against the Huskers? How do you attack them offensively and what are you trying to do to take them out of their rhythm?

Moschetti: Defensively, I'm going to make Nebraska throw the football. They have to stop the run. Offensively, try to shorten the game. By shorten the game, I mean break the huddle late, run as much time off the clock as you can, try the run the football and keep the game close going into the fourth quarter.

BGB: Can they run the football, Mike?

Moschetti: You have to try. You have to stay patient and try. If it gets into a game where Colorado gets behind and they have to throw the football, they're not going to win.

When I say run the football, I'm not saying run for 200 yards, I'm looking for 120, 130 yards rushing. If they can do that, not turn the ball over and stop the run, they're probably going to win the football game.

BGB: Do you think the Buffs will stay with the Huskers into the fourth quarter?

Moschetti: I do. I've watched Nebraska play a lot this year and they're a good football team but they're very beatable.

BGB: Where are they weak from a coach's eyes?

Moschetti: Offensively, I don't think they know what they want to do. Whether they want to run the ball or throw the ball. Sometimes, they look a little confused, offensively.

BGB: Could you share specifics about what you're doing right now?

Moschetti: Coaching at the junior college (Mount San Antonio in Walnut, Ca.) where I played at and I'm currently working on my master's degree and I'm the offensive coordinator, quarterback coach.

My second year in coaching. I love helping kids achieve their dreams, getting scholarships.

Right now, I'm happy and having a blast.


Part II of this interview, tomorrow.

No comments: