Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Open Letter to Readers

Have a confession.

That is, if you couldn't figure it out yourself.

I think you're too intelligent not to see it, though.

I'm coming out of the closet.

I'm not a journalist.

At least not in the purest sense of the word. That designation is reserved for the professionals I talk to frequently -- the men of the roundtable -- and many others. What I am is part journalist, part follower of CU athletic's and part messenger boy.

The reason I explain this is to share I'm not beholden to anyone to make this space anything more than what it is -- a forum for expressing insight and passion for Buffaloes' sports. I attempt to be as objective as possible yet I offer my deep beliefs just as you share to your family, friends and anyone who will listen.

What is satisfying about doing this work is speaking to the people who are also passionate about CU and hearing raw honesty with rock-solid facts, getting to the bone, you know, of the matter.

The interview subjects presented here continue to make or break the quality of this site and man, I've been blessed, from sports information director Dave Plati, to the media, who continue to share with some unknown dude with little else than a phone and computer, to those who played, coached and made a memorable footprint at the university, as coaches and players.

Without them, this is a skeleton of an forum.

Why do I mention all this to you tonight?

I continue to see and be impressed by clean expressions of the mind and heart from those who talk with me. Last night, for example, Andrew Friedman, and tonight with Scott Wilke, one of the better players to ever hit the court for the Buffs.

As a friend, I'm sharing that I hope you don't miss this upcoming interview with Wilke, which I hope to have posted Thursday, not out of selfishness but out of my hope you will hear something provocative. Without honesty, without heart from people like him, I need to board up the windows and go home. What this program needs, in any sport, is people who care deeply.

Thanks for reading and your interest in supporting my desire to make this site relative.

No comments: