Thursday, November 23, 2006

The pilot of 62-36 talks quarterbacking & Nebraska

Bobby Pesavento may not have played in the NFL like Kordell Stewart or Koy Detmer and he may not have thrown for a school record 7,375 yards like Joel Klatt but he did do something those guys didn't - lead a whipping of Nebraska that sent a shockwave through college football.

62-36 is all that needs to be said and every Buffs' fan knows exactly what you're talking about.

The Black and Gold Breakdown had a chance to talk to the 18th-leading passer in school history this week, a guy that has the second-highest passer rating in school history, at 144.53, trailing only Detmer 148.95.

BGB: Bernard Jackson has had a rough go in his first year as a starter, Bobby. You played the position well; what are the biggest challenges that have to be overcome to become a quality quarterback?

Pesavento: The transition from playing high school quarterback to college quarterback is the speed of the game, the knowledge you have to have; a lot of stuff gets thrown at you, a lot more depth at the college level than at the high school level.

BGB: When did you first start feeling comfortable playing quarterback? What did you have to go through to get to that point?

Pesavento: It probably wasn't until my senior season when I started playing again until I felt I got everything and I could run (the offense).

BGB: What sort of pressure does a quarterback feel?

Pesavento: I think every quarterback (feels pressure), because he's in the spotlight, no matter what.

I'm sure Bernard's having a tough time. I hope he's not reading the papers. It's a big-time college football program and it's a pressure-packed situation playing there because the Colorado fans expect the best.

BGB: The Nebraska game -- how do the players look at that game -- do they get pumped as the fans do or is the approach more like, it's another game to play?

Pesavento: Five years ago, my answer to the media would have been 'it's just another football game.' Being out of it now and looking at it, it was always a huge game for us. When I was there, we hadn't won in 10 or 11 years, then in 2001 it was escalated even more because we needed to win that game to win the North (division) and get into the Big 12 Championship.

BGB: Obviously, you were part of a great moment in that series, and the program's history, Bobby. What are your strongest memories of that game?

Pesavento: Wow, that whole day was surreal. It was one of those days as an offense we couldn't seem to do anything wrong.

BGB: What sort of feeling did you and the team have going into that game? Did you feel we're really prepared or was it more thinking the game was going to be a major challenge?

Pesavento: I knew it was going to be a huge challenge. They weren't the no. 1 team (in the country) for no reason but we definitely had a quiet confidence about us that whole week.

We thought going in we could run the ball against them, right at 'em. We came out throwing early and I think that kind of spread them out a little bit and gave them something else to look at. Our offensive line and Chris (Brown) and Bobby (Purify) just took over the rest of that football game.

BGB: Thinking back to that football game, there seemed to be a calm, cool way in the manner in which the offense moved the ball. It seemed so easy. How do you remember it?

Pesavento: It really did seem easy.

We had a big number of seniors that year and coach Barnett kind of took the attitude of letting us run the team. He had confidence in us. I think with that leadership and the group we were, I think that's what led to that (result).

We expected to win and then when it was one big play after another, we just got on a role and we just kept it rollin' and they couldn't stop us.

BGB: This week, what is it going to take for the Buffs to hang with the Huskers in Lincoln?

Pesavento: I think the defense will have to play as they have all year and the offense, I think, is going to have do something early. They can't put the defense in too many tough situations because Nebraska has a pretty good offense.

The offense -- scoring early would be great but they, at least, have to put a couple of drives together and keep the defense off the field and put some pressure on the Nebraska defense.

BGB: These days, what is Bobby Pesavento doing?

Pesavento: I was playing arena football for four years and now I've come back to coach Indiana high school football.

I tore my MCL twice so I've been rehabbing. I was thinking of playing again but I decided not to. I'm returning to Boulder in January to come back to school. I have three classes left to finish my degree (communications).

BGB: What do you desire to do with that degree?

Pesavento: I'm going to pursue coaching at the college level.

No comments: